Sunday, January 27, 2008

update

Thought I would update on my Co2 lowering ambitions.

What I wanted to do in January to get me started:

- Drive less? how much less? I don't drive that much but more than someone who doesn't right? Maybe 50% less for now and work towards reducing bus use also (get a bike - maybe later in the year)
- For the month of Jan - be 90% vegan. Because farming meat and dairy is right up there in the high emission stakes (‘A new report to warn the livestock industry generates 8 per cent of all UK greenhouse gas emissions’(Guardian Nov 07). Now this is really about me changing my habits and to be more thoughtful about my consumption.
- Turn off lights, recycle etc (I do this already – but you know do it more!!)
- Stop having baths!! (I love bathing and reading a good book in a hot bath is bliss to me but I know it's unnecessary - I mean I'll shower - occasionally:-)

What happened:

- Well first couple of weeks I drove less then life got the better of me and I drove virtually everyday last week - will keep trying but feel like some incentive or flex with my employers might help.
- I am rubbish vegan! but pretty good at being vegetarian - I haven't bought meat for home and haven't eaten it other than a couple of meals out since xmas. I have lowered my dairy intake but just love cheese.
- Been good at turning off lights, heating. Thanks to Birmingham City Council my recycling just got a whole lot easier to continue doing.
- Baths. Did I say how much I love to bathe? It's the reading aspect mainly. And I am ashamed to say that this one went right out of the window but I read a couple of great books and will only/mainly shower in Feb.

So anyway I'll continue trying, being a bit more aware of my actions.

No comments: